October 15, 2018
Halloween Safety Tips:
- Keep costumes simple – Avoid costumes that too big or that restrict a child’s movement or vision.
- Use face paint instead of masks.
- Attach reflective tape where possible on costume.
- Have older children carry glow sticks or flashlight.
- Encourage children to use sidewalks or paths if available.
- Make sure to remind children that the same safety rules apply on Halloween. Look both ways before crossing the street, use corners or crosswalks when available and obey traffic signs when present.
- Ask children to not eat goodies until you have a chance to inspect them. Toss out open or unpackaged items.
- Children under 12 years of age should not trick or treat alone.
- Remind older children to stay in groups and not to approach strangers or unfamiliar cars.
- If driving, make sure to put the phone away, slow down and pay attention to the children on or around the street.
For more information on Halloween Safety, visit our Resources page and click on the month of October.